State Medical Assistance is a regionally based NSW SME providing patient transport services throughout regional, rural and remote NSW. We support healthshare services, hospitals, government departments, aged care facilities and events.
Established in 2013, SMA’s focus is to be the benchmark in quality within the private ambulance sector. We have rapidly built market share in Regional NSW and increasingly within the Sydney Metropolitan area.
Our vision is to strive to deliver the very best in healthcare with the aim to become the benchmark in quality within the private ambulance sector. We have extensive experience within NSW as a first aid, healthcare, paramedic and ambulance service provider.
We have established preferred supplier agreements with Ramsay Healthcare and NSW Healthshare, and we provide on-site paramedical services at high-risk events throughout regional NSW and Sydney Metro area.
We are the only NSW-based private ambulance services provider certified to the National Safety and Quality Health Standards (NSQHS) and ISO/IEC 27001 (Information Security Management Systems). We have the NSW Health Private Paramedic Authority and Wholesale Licences and we are certified against ISO9001: 2015, AS/NZS 4801: 2001 and OHSAS 18001: 2013.
SMA takes our employment responsibilities very seriously. We guarantee that all personnel are employed under the relevant industrial agreement and paid above award conditions.
Our clients and partners benefit from working with an experienced team that is unrivalled in terms of quality of response and professional patient care. Our organisation is governed by a highly experienced Clinical Governance Committee which includes A/Prof. Paul Middleton, Amanda Cant – Operations & Clinical Services and William Alexander – Chair, Clinical Governance Committee.
Our mission is to build a team of passionate professionals, focussed on delivering tailored quality excellence in patient-centred care
SMA strives to be the benchmark in delivering quality healthcare
- Passion: We delight our clients and enjoy our work
- Quality: We deliver quality, innovative patient-centred care
- Responsive: We communicate and react quickly to meet your needs
- Safety: Safety for everyone in everything we do
- Teamwork: Teamwork is everything amongst ourselves and our partners
Team & Governance
The senior management of State Medical Assistance are highly experienced health and paramedical practitioners who have a history of providing tier 1 patient care and are committed to the effective operation of the prescribed service offering. Our three levels of governance provide a strong framework for provision of essential services:
- Board Of Directors
- Clinical Governance
- Corporate Governance
SMA board of directors
The board of directors are responsible for strategic decision making on behalf of the company.
Dr. Sam Rewais
Prof. Paul Middleton, FACEM
Captain Sean Golding
Training. Compliance & Business Continuity
Managing Director & CEO
Corporate Governance Committee
The Corporate Governance Committee is a board advisory committee who meet monthly to provide the SMA board of directors with strategic, tactical, operational and risk management advisory support. The membership comprises:
Kate O Connor
Peter Hassos CA
Communications and Strategy
Clinical Governance Committee
State Medical Assistance’s Clinical Governance Committee is responsible for establishing our clinical framework which is nationally audited and accredited under Standard 1 of the NSQHSS. This committees oversight ensures State Medical Assistance provide a level of care that sets a new benchmark in the industry, including:
- Strict clinical protocols and pharmacology equivalent to NSW Ambulance protocols. The protocols and pharmacology have been independently approved by two senior emergency physicians with emergency department leadership responsibility in a Sydney and ACT hospital.
- SMA is licenced to carry Schedule medications under the NSW Ministry of Health Pharmaceutical Services drug licence approval regulations.
- SMA ambulances are compliant with all NSW industry standards
- SMA employs health professionals registered with AHPRA (Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency). The is a body dedicated to best practice paramedical services and enforces minimum medical standards for EMT’s and Paramedics.
- All SMA paramedics are minimum qualified to Diploma in Paramedical Science level and must be registered with AHPRA (Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency), This means that any paramedic deployed by SMA will be at least the equivalent of a NSW Ambulance paramedic qualification level.
The Committee is a recognised panel of industry experts and includes:
A/Prof. Paul Middleton, FACEM
Clinical Lead and Paramedic Representative
Committee is a recognised panel of industry experts and includes:
General Manager – People & Operations
CA Finance Lead
Recruitment and HR
Logistics & Workforce Services Manager
Executive Assistant - Clinical and Compliance Support
Payroll AP & AR